Hello,

> There are reports (in this ML too) that disabling dynamic snitching
> decreases response time.

I confirm that I have seen this improvement on clusters under pressure.

What effects stand behind this improvement?

My understanding is that this is due to the fact that the clients are then
'pinned', more sticking to specific nodes when the dynamic snitching is
off. I guess there is a better use of caches and in-memory structures,
reducing the amount of disk read needed, which can lead to way more
performances than switching from node to node as soon as the score of some
node is not good enough.
I am also not sure that the score calculation is always relevant, thus
increasing the threshold before switching reads to another node is still
often worst than disabling it completely. I am not sure if the score
calculation was fixed, but in most cases, I think it's safer to run with
'dynamic_snitch: false'. Anyway, it's possible to test it on a canary node
(or entire rack) and look at the p99 for read latencies for example :).

This ticket is old, but was precisely on that topic:

C*heers
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - al...@thelastpickle.com
France / Spain

http://www.thelastpickle.com