Hi Thira,

First, there's the 3.0 branch of versions and the 3.x branch of versions.
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/development/patches.html#choosing-the-right-branches-to-work-on

The 3.0.16 belongs to the 3.0 branch.
The 3.9 and 3.11.2 belong to the 3.x. branch

I believe the change was made by this:
Remove alter type support
where it was "Fixed" in versions 3.0.11 in the 3.0 branch and in version
3.10 in 3.x branch.
So 3.0.16 has the fix, 3.9 doesn't have it, but 3.11.2 has it.

Best regards,
Yoshi