I guess the code experts could shed more light on
org.apache.cassandra.util.coalesceInternal and SepWorker.run.
I'll just add anything I can think of....

Any cron or other scheduler running on those nodes?
Lots of Java processes running simultaneously?
Heavy repair continuously running?
Lots of pending compactions?
Is the number of CPU cores the same in all the nodes?
Did you try rebooting one of the nodes?