You can check cfstats to see what's the compression ratio.
It's totally possible to have the values you're reporting as a compression
ratio of 0.2 is quite common depending on the data you're storing
(compressed size is then 20% of the original data).

Compaction throughput changes are taken into account for running
compactions starting with Cassandra 2.2 if I'm correct. Your compaction
could be bound by cpu, not I/O in that case.

Cheers

--
Alexander Dejanovski

Consultant