Marc/Dimitry/Jon - greatly appreciate your feedback. I will look into the
version part that you suggested. The reason to go direct to 3.x is to take
a bi leap and reduce overall effort to upgrade a large cluster (development
included).

I have these questions from my original post. Appreciate if you could shed
some light and point me in the right direction.

1) How do deal with decommissioning a 2.1.9 node in a partially upgraded
cluster?
2) How to bootstrap a 3.x node to a partially upgraded cluster?
3) Is there an alternative approach to the upgrade large clusters. i.e
instead of going through nodetool upgradesstables on each node in rolling
fashion