Unfortunately, we found this to be a little tricky. We did migrations from
DSE 4.8 and 5.0 to OSS 3.0.x, so you may run into additional issues. I will
also say your best option may be to install a fresh cluster and stream the
data. This wasn't feasible for us at the size and scale in the time frames
and infrastructure restrictions we had. I will have to review my notes for
more detail, but off the top of my head, for an in place migration...

Pre-upgrade
* Be sure you are not using any Enterprise features like Search or Graph.
Not only are there not equivalent features in open source, but theses
features require proprietary classes to be in the classpath, or Cassandra
will not even start up.
* By default, I think DSE uses their own custom authenticators,
authorizors, and such. Make sure what you are doing has an open source
equivalent.
* The DSE system keyapaces use custom replication strategies. Convert these
to NTS before upgrade.
* Otherwise, follow the same processes you would do before an upgrade
(repair, snapshot, etc)

Upgrade
* The easy part is just replacing the binaries as you would in normal
upgrade. Drain and stop the existing node first. You can also do this same
process in a rolling fashion to maintain availability. In our case, we were
doing an in-place upgrade and reusing the same IPs
* DSE unfortunately creates a custom column in a system table that requires
you to remove one (or more) system tables (peers?) to be able to start the
node. You delete these system tables by  removing the sstbles on disk while
the node is down. This is a bit of a headache if using vnodes. As we are
using vnodes, it required us to manually specify num tokens, and the
specific tokens the node was responsible for in Cassandra.yaml. You have to
do this before you start the node. If not using vnodes, this is simpler,
but we used vnodes. Again, I'll double check my notes. Once the node is up,
you can revert to your normal vnodes/num tokens settings.

Post upgrade:
* Drop DSE system tables.

I'll revert with more detail if needed.