Hi again,

so remaining with a) for a second...
"Why am I using ALLOW FILTERING in the first place?"
Fully agreed! To put it this way: as I reviewer I never want to see string occurence "allow filtering" in any selects done by a production code. I clearly consider it as an indicator of a wrong db design. Still! There are use cases - and if I am not mistaken the original question was around that - when for whatever reasons PERSONS are running such selects manually. E.g. for us where we use Cassandra we have things like this:  for analysis purposes. So I think this is a valid use case. And once we have found a valid use case question stands. Right? So back to the question: "But only in case you do not provide partitioning key right?" - I assume the answer is yes right? :-)

b) "I think it can justify the unresponsiveness. When using ALLOW FILTERING, you are doing something like a full table scan in a relational database" I get it. Sure. But is Cassandra kind of "single threaded" so much that if a node is running one(!) big big extensive query it becomes fully unresponsive? I doubt it... That's what I meant by saying "does not explain or justify". From my perspective I definitely consider this kind of being unresponsiveness as an abnormal state ...

cheers

Attila

a) Interesting... But only in case you do not provide partitioning key right? (so IN() is for partitioning key?)

I think you should ask yourself a different question. Why am I using ALLOW FILTERING in the first place? What happens if I remove it from the query? I prefer to denormalize the data to multiple tables or at least create an index on the requested column (preferably queried together with a known partition key).

b) Still does not explain or justify "all 8 nodes to halt and unresponsiveness to external requests" behavior... Even if servers are busy with the request seriously becoming non-responsive...?

I think it can justify the unresponsiveness. When using ALLOW FILTERING, you are doing something like a full table scan in a relational database.

There is a lot of information on the internet regarding this subject such as https://www.instaclustr.com/apache-cassandra-scalability-allow-filtering-partition-keys/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

    "When you run a query with allow filtering, Cassandra doesn't know
    where the data is located, so it has to go node by node, searching
    for the requested data."

    a) Interesting... But only in case you do not provide partitioning
    key right? (so IN() is for partitioning key?)

    b) Still does not explain or justify "all 8 nodes to halt and
    unresponsiveness to external requests" behavior... Even if servers
    are busy with the request seriously becoming non-responsive...?

    cheers

    Attila Wind

    http://www.linkedin.com/in/attilaw
    Mobile: +36 31 7811355