Hello Shishir,

It shouldn't be necessary to take downtime to perform upgrades of a
Cassandra cluster. It sounds like the biggest issue you're facing is the
upgradesstables step. upgradesstables is not strictly necessary before a
Cassandra node re-enters the cluster to serve traffic; in my experience it
is purely for optimizing the performance of the database once the software
upgrade is complete. I recommend trying out an upgrade in a test
environment without using upgradesstables, which should bring the 5 hours
per node down to just a few minutes.

If you're running NetworkTopologyStrategy and you want to optimize further,
you could consider performing the upgrade on multiple nodes within the same
rack in parallel. When correctly configured, NetworkTopologyStrategy can
protect your database from an outage of an entire rack. So performing an
upgrade on a few nodes at a time within a rack is the same as a partial
rack outage, from the database's perspective.

Have a nice upgrade!

Josh