> Does anyone perhaps have an idea on what could've gone wrong here?
> Could it be just a calculation error on startup?

Specifically for the NegativeArraySizeException, what's happening is that
the keyLength is so huge that it blows up MAX_UNSIGNED_SHORT so it looks
like it's a negative value. Someone will correct me if I got that wrong but
the "Key length longer than max" error confirms that.

That's why Jeff is interested in seeing a copy of the cache so we can see
what's in it if your keys are not sensitive/confidential. Maybe you can
provide an obfuscated example to give us some clues? Cheers!