I definitely saw a noticeable decrease in GC activity somewhere between
3.11.0 and 3.11.4.  I'm not sure which change did it, but I can't think of
any good reason to use 3.11.0 vs 3.11.6.

I would enable and look through GC logs (or just the slow-GC entries in the
default log) to see if the problem is that it's actually running out of
heap vs falling behind on GC.  For example, if it's doing long mixed or
full GCs and the old-gen space isn't shrinking much it's probably just too
much total data.  If it's just falling behind, there's some things like
InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent you can tune.

It might also be worth looking at "ttop" from
https://github.com/aragozin/jvm-tools and sorting by heap allocation to see
if you can identify top offenders.