In most cases, minor OS upgrades are not problematic provided you have
sufficient capacity in your cluster so that it can tolerate scheduled
downtime while some nodes are being upgraded.

One thing you should be aware of are patches in newer versions of Linux
distributions which address Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. The
microcode and security patches in RHEL 7.7 can have a significant impact on
the performance of servers. Note that this is not limited to Cassandra
workloads -- the fixes are applied at the OSI layer so it affects all
applications and databases running on patched operating systems. You can
find out more information about the RHEL patches in this KB --
https://access.redhat.com/articles/3311301.

Some recommended mitigation strategies for the performance impacts include:

   - Reviewing disk configuration, particularly setting a low(er)
   read-ahead size. See this blog post from The Last Pickle for guidance --
   https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2019/01/30/new-cluster-recommendations.html
   .
   - Disabling governors which use a lower CPU frequency, or explicitly
   setting CPU scaling to "performance". For reference, I previously wrote
   about this here --
   https://support.datastax.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003018063.
   - Set the disk access mode to mmap index files only. I've explained the
   details in this post -- https://community.datastax.com/questions/6947/.

Cheers!