I'm not too familiar with the details on what's happened more recently, but
I do remember that while Rocksandra was very favorably compared to
Cassandra 2.x, the improvements looked fairly similar in nature and
magnitude to what Cassandra got from the move to the 3.x sstable format and
increased use of off-heap memory.  That might have damped a lot of the
enthusiasm for further development.