Hi Cassandra community,

We (and others) regularly run into commit log corruptions that are caused
by Cassandra, or the underlying infrastructure, being hard restarted.  I
suspect that this is because it happens in the middle of a commitlog file
write to disk.

Could anyone point me at resources / code to understand why this is
happening?  Shouldn't Cassandra not be acking writes until the commitlog is
safely written to disk?  I would expect that on startup, Cassandra should
be able to clean up bad commitlog files and recover gracefully.

I've seen various references online to this issue as something that will be
fixed in the future - so I'm curious if there is any movement or thoughts
there.

Thanks a bunch,
Leon