Looks like it's not happening, seen a couple of cases like this,  in all
cases the files belonged to nodes that died and had to be removed, and I
can see this behaviour on all the nodes in the relevant data center.
All these nodes had to be removed with force (not by choice..), I wonder if
that has anything to do with it, perhaps there is a stage in the end that
clears hints.

I can see by the file name, it contains the host id, and I have old
"nodetool status" output