TWCS without a table TTL is unlikely to work correctly, and adding the table TTL retrospectively alone is also unlikely to fix the existing issue. You may need to add the table default TTL and update all existing data to reflect the TTL change, and then trigger a major compaction to update the SSTable files' metadata (specifically, maximum timestamp in the SSTable and TTL max, which can be used to calculate the safe time for deleting the entire SSTable file). After all the above is done, you will need to wait for the table default TTL amount of time before everything is back to normal. The reason for the waiting time is because the major compaction will result in a single SSTable file expiring in the TTL time, and the SSTable will remain on disk until that amount of time has passed. So you will need enough disk space for about twice the amount of data you are expecting to have in that table.