Hi - in order to get the node back up and running I did the following:
Deleted all data on the node:
Added: -Dcassandra.replace_address=172.16.100.39
to the cassandra.env.sh file, and started it up.  It is currently bootstrapping.

In cassandra.yaml, say you have the following:

data_file_directories:
    - /data/1/cassandra
    - /data/2/cassandra
    - /data/3/cassandra
    - /data/4/cassandra
    - /data/5/cassandra
    - /data/6/cassandra
    - /data/7/cassandra
    - /data/8/cassandra

If I change the above to:
#    - /data/1/cassandra
    - /data/2/cassandra
    - /data/3/cassandra
    - /data/4/cassandra
    - /data/5/cassandra
    - /data/6/cassandra
    - /data/7/cassandra
    - /data/8/cassandra

the problem happens.  If I change it to:

    - /data/1/cassandra
    - /data/2/cassandra
    - /data/3/cassandra
    - /data/4/cassandra
    - /data/5/cassandra
    - /data/6/cassandra
    - /data/7/cassandra
#    - /data/8/cassandra

the node starts up OK.  I assume it will recover the missing data during a repair?

-Joe