Hi, thanks for the prompt reply.

I've tried this. Here's what I'm writing:
bytes: 3 capacity: 3 limit: 3 offset: 0

Here's what I'm reading:
cell buffer size: 1048576 capacity: 1048576 limit: 212 arrayOffset: 0

It still does not seem right. I would have expected Cassandra to allocate a
buffer the size of the text field. Unless I'm missing something,
org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.AbstractType#read already does this. It
calls org.apache.cassandra.utils.ByteBufferUtil#read that allocates a byte
array the size of the given length. I'm still checking but it could be that
the readUnsignedVInt call in AbstractType#read reads the wrong thing under
the given circumstances (very likely an issue on my end). I would welcome
any ideas on how to debug this.

- Neophytos