select * reads all of the data from the cluster, obviously it would be bad
if you'll
run a single query and expect it to return 'fast'. The best way is to
divide the data
set into chunks which will be selected by the range ownership per node, so
you'll
be able to query in parallel the entire cluster and maximize the
parallelism.

If needed, I can provide an example for this