From: Jeff Jirsa <jji...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, July 8, 2022 5:46 PM
To: cassandra <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Cc: Bowen Song <bo...@bso.ng>
Subject: Re: Adding nodes

EXTERNAL
Having a node UJ but not sending/receiving other streams is an invalid state
(unless 4.0 moved the streaming data out of netstats? I'm not 100% sure, but
I'm 99% sure it should be there).

It likely stopped the bootstrap process long ago with an error (which you may
not have seen), and is running without being in the ring, but also not trying
to join the ring.

145GB vs 1.1T could be bits vs bytes (that's a factor of 8), or it could be
that you streamed data and compacted it away. Hard to say, but less important -
the fact that it's UJ but not streaming means there's a different problem.

If it's me, I do this (not guaranteed to work, your mileage may vary, etc):
1) Look for errors in the logs of ALL hosts. In the joining host, look for an
exception that stops bootstrap. In the others, look for messages about errors
streaming, and/or exceptions around file access. In all of those hosts, check
to see if any of them think they're streaming ( nodetool netstats again)
2) Stop the joining host. It's almost certainly not going to finish now. Remove
data directories, commitlog directory, saved caches, hints. Wait 2 minutes.
Make sure every other host in the cluster sees it disappear from the ring.
Then, start it fresh and let it bootstrap again. (you could alternatively try
the resumable bootstrap option, but I never use it).

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 2:56 AM Marc Hoppins