Hi,

We are currently in the process of upgrading our environment from
3.0.27 to 4.0.4. However I see some issues with hints not being sent
from v3 nodes to v4 nodes.

We have a test environment with 2DCs, we are currently writing to DC1
and DC2 have been upgraded from version 3.0.27 -> 4.0.4

After the upgrade I see that all the v3 nodes in DC1 have hint files
stored for all the upgraded nodes in DC2. These files where created
while the nodes in DC2 was upgraded, however they do not disappear and
there is nothing in the logs mentioning anything about these files.

Does this mean that data written while a node is being upgraded is not
replicated to that node?

Hint related configs:
   hinted_handoff_enabled: true
   max_hint_window_in_ms: 172800000 # 48
   hourshinted_handoff_throttle_in_kb: 10240
   max_hints_delivery_threads: 8
   hints_directory: /var/lib/cassandra/hints
   hints_flush_period_in_ms: 10000
   max_hints_file_size_in_mb: 12

Regards
Morten