Hi -

We have a node whose root partition is flaking out.  The disk that contains the
Cassandra data, however, is healthy.

We’d like to replace the dying node with a procedure like this:

0) OLD node is running, NEW node has never started Cassandra
1) rsync Cassandra data from OLD node to NEW  (1.2TB)
2) Shutdown OLD node
3) rsync any remaining Cassandra data from OLD to NEW
4) Startup NEW node for the first time and have it take the place of the OLD
node in the cluster

The goal here is to eliminate bootstrapping (streaming), because it’s a 1 for 1
swap and we can easily rsync all of the data over to the new node in advance.

Questions:

What do I need to do in step 4 to get Cassandra to take over the place of the
old node?

Is this a wise idea?  Or should I just bite the bullet and use
“-Dcassandra.replace_address” and do the bootstrapping (streaming)?  I have no
idea how long it takes to stream 1.2 TB of data.

Our cluster:
v3.0.23
2 DC
3 nodes per DC