Not sure if it's clear, but there are two different approaches to your
problem described.

1) You can set a foreign relationship to your audit table and let
Cayenne assign the key at commit.  This is probably the easiest
especially if you dynamically create the relationships in java code.
Except for the initialization of these relationships at some point
(startup or first time you hit the audit code), nothing else has to be
done and that's the only "cayenne-internals" code you have to deal
with.

2) You can use something like the example code to grab the primary key
values after cayenne generates them but before the actual database
query executes.  I doubt that prePersist is early enough, but it might
be.   Otherwise you will have to go looking for a different hook.
This requires a lot more knowledge of cayenne internals in my opinion.
This is also a much harder problem if you're deferring the key
generation to the database rather than using sequences or some similar
approach, but Cayenne obviously has a way to handle that now or
regular foreign key setup for relationships wouldn't work.

Your third idea of using postPersist has its own problems.  If you
decide to use a postPersist and set this information in a separate
commit, then you run the risk of your audit log not being created and
losing your audit information.   For my environment, that wasn't
acceptable.   Maybe you could wrap both commits in a single
transaction -- I'm not certain, but maybe that could work.
Transaction support either wasn't there back when I was doing this or
I didn't understand that it could solve my problem back then.