JavaFX would be a huge amount of work since almost the entire app would be rewritten from scratch. And if there was a reason to do it, that reason would probably point toward an html/js front end. There are just so many more html/js widgets for object graphs, table views, etc than any other UI kit.

And then we'd have Cayenne modeler SaaS!  \s

Back in reality, Swing is going to be here a long time. If you are able to submit a PR to run even a basic set of tests on the UI that would be great and provide a guide on how to add more over time.

Ari