Hi Samuel,

Samuel Fleischle wrote on Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:51 PM:

> Hi,
> I updated from Commons Lang 2.1 to Commons Lang 2.3 and got
> some issues with the changed compareTo() method of Enum with
> anonymouse inner classes:
>
> Here is my simplified Enum:
>

> public class ItemStatus extends Enum
> {
>        // --------------------------------------------------
> Static Fields
>       public static final ItemStatus CANCEL = new
> ItemStatus("CANCEL", "Cancel");
>
>        public static final ItemStatus SHIPPED = new
> ItemStatus("SHIPPED", "Shipped") {
>               public String getDisplayName() {
>                       // do something special for this status
>               }
>        };
>
>       public static final ItemStatus MOVED = new
> ItemStatus("MOVED", "Moved") {
>               public String getDisplayName() {
>                       // do something special for this status
>               }
>        };

[snip]

> }

[snip]

> com.myapp.common.model.order.ItemStatus
> com.myapp.common.model.order.ItemStatus$1
> com.myapp.common.model.order.ItemStatus$2
>
> The compareTo-Method now tries to compare ItemStatus$1 with
> ItemStatus$2 and says to me, that my ItemStatus-Enums are
> different classes.

Well, obviously those *are* different classes.

> I saw in JIRA there are some other issues in
> ValuedEnum.compareTo(). Is there a bug in the
> Enum.compareTo() implementation which got changed in Lang 2.2?

IIRC, this was more about using different class loaders loading the EnumValue
class.

> Thanks in advance for any help or comment on this issue.

Why don't you factor out a (private) interface with this method? Write an
addition ctor that takes such an implementation and use otherwise a default
one. With this approach the enum class is always the same and the anonymous
class is of a different type. Make the an additional field in the enum class
keeping that implementation and declare it as transient for seamless
serialization.

- Jörg