I'm using digester to parse data files and do a db update with the data. I need to associate the db column name and type with each data item. I drive this process with a setup file of the form: pattern db_col_name db_col_type

This file is read in and each line is used to create a DataItem object with pattern, name and type. The data will be obtained by digester
public DataItem {
  String pattern;
  String name ;
  String type ;
  String data ;

I loop over a list of DataItems to set up the digester to create an ArrayList of DataItems:
digester.addObjectCreate(start_pattern, ArrayList.class);
for ( DataItem d: DataItemList ){
digester.addObjectCreate(d.getPattern(), DataItem.class); // push a DataItem digester.addBeanPropertySetter(d.getPattern(), "data"); // call DataItem.setData() passing the value matched by the pattern digester.addSetNext(d.getPattern(), "add"); // add this DataItem to the List
}

What I would like to do is set the name and type attributes of the DataItem class that I'm pushing onto the digester stack. However, all setProperty and addCall methods are pattern based and ObjectCreate uses the default constructor.

Does digester provide a way to do what I want?

-=beeky