We are currently using dbcp 1.1 with oracle 10g but we're moving to an Oracle
11g RAC setup.

Our existing code doesn't have any "retry" logic in response to SQLExceptions
so does dbcp subscribe to ONS events and what is the general approach it uses
to become aware of a node down event in the cluster and how does it handle
failover? ie. what connections are recycled in response to a node down event
and what does the jdbc url have to look like if this is to take place?

Our existing jdbc url currently references a virtual ip address which is
frontending the cluster which I believe means that you won't have to wait for
the TCP timeout when a node goes down but rather the onus is still on the
client to catch the SQLException and have retry logic in order to reconnect to
the new node.