Hi Patrick,
I thought it was more intuitive, sounds we have to update de doc.
Anyway, to reply to your questions:

1) just create the Digester instance, set the RegexRules and start
binding your rules:

Digester digester = new Digester();
digester.setRules( new RegexRules( new SimpleRegexMatcher() ) );
digester.addCallMethod( "collection/doc/categ/*",  "myMethod", 0 );

2) yes, as reported in the javadoc I pointed: "* matches any sequence
of none, one or more characters" like in the bash syntax; if you want
to apply kind of filters, bind the rules with restrictive patterns
(prefixes/postfixes); ie. given the rule:

digester.addCallMethod( "collection/doc/categ/patt*",  "myMethod", 0 );

collection/doc/categ/patt -> matches
collection/doc/categ/pattern -> matches
collection/doc/categ/patteRn -> matches
collection/doc/categ/pattern -> matches
collection/doc/categ/paBtern -> does not match

HTH, have a nice weekend,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/