Hi Patrick!!!
for the XML -> Object mapping, Betwixt relies on Digester, which is
NOT thread safe.
You have 3 options:

 - synchronize the blocks as you did - anyway it's not the best way IMHO;
 - re-create the deserializer for each request;
 - use Betwixt in combination with commons-pool, get/release a
deserializer for each request (same pattern you would do with JDBC
Connection in a DataSource).

My preferred is the #3, but it's just a matter of tastes ;)
Have a nice day, all the best!!!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/