Hello Raimund,

many thanks for your feedback.

Am 13.12.2011 14:45, schrieb Klein, Raimund:
Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with configuration 1.7 for a while now, specifically
XMLConfiguration (since I'm a fan of hierarchical files) and the
XPathExpressionEngine. Cool stuff. :-)

However, I've run into two issues:
- Since my file is nested a couple of levels, I like to create configuration
nodes with children myself and then add whole subtrees at the appropriate
points. For the self-created nodes, I rely on
org.apache.commons.configuration.tree.DefaultConfigurationNode. I also like the
SubnodeConfiguration class while working on the subtree. However, I've found
that when really adding new nodes to the configuration, I can't simply add them
to a matching SubnodeConfiguration, as they won't be converted into XML Nodes,
which causes possible ClassCastExceptions later on. Instead, I have to add them
to the XMLConfiguration directly. This is due to the fact that XMLConfiguration
overrides addNodes(String, Collection) and converts the nodes in the Collection
into its own XML nodes; however, SubnodeConfiguration of course doesn't do
this. I've been wondering whether this is intentional or maybe I'm completely
missing the idea of the class SubnodeConfiguration itself. Maybe
XMLConfiguration
's configuration(s)At methods should return a subclass of SubnodeConfiguration
which will perform the same node conversion?

This is not by intension, it is rather a missing feature (well, maybe even a bug). Could you please open a ticket in our bug tracking system [1] for this? It's a good idea to let XMLConfiguration return a specific SubnodeConfiguraition with an overridden createNode() method.

- Is there a way to assign a formatter to changed XMLConfigurations when
saving? I've found inspecting and maybe even changing the stored configuration
files by hand a bit cumbersome, as there is apparently no such thing as
auto-indent. As I'm expecting my files to grow over time, this would come in
quite handy.

Unfortunately, there is no support for formatting yet. This would certainly be a nice new feature. However, I am not sure what would be a suitable interface for such a formatter?

Thanks
Oliver

[1] http://commons.apache.org/configuration/issue-tracking.html

Other than that, I'm quite happy with what I've found so far. :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Raimund Klein

EDV / Software Entwickler

BERENBERG BANK

Joh. Berenberg, Gossler&  Co. KG

Neuer Jungfernstieg 20

20354 Hamburg

Telefon +49 40 350 60-8129

Telefax +49 40 350 60-955

E-Mail raimund.kl...@berenberg.de

www.berenberg.de<outbind://75/www.berenberg.de>

Sitz: Hamburg - Amtsgericht Hamburg HRA 42659

Diese Nachricht einschliesslich etwa beigefuegter Anhaenge ist vertraulich und
kann dem Bank- und Datengeheimnis unterliegen oder sonst rechtlich geschuetzte
Daten und Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind
oder diese Nachricht irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort
den Absender über die Antwortfunktion. Anschliessend moechten Sie bitte diese
Nachricht einschliesslich etwa beigefuegter Anhaenge unverzueglich vollstaendig
loeschen. Das unerlaubte Kopieren oder Speichern dieser Nachricht und/oder der
ihr etwa beigefuegten Anhaenge sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe der darin
enthaltenen Daten und Informationen sind nicht gestattet. Wir weisen darauf
hin, dass rechtsverbindliche Erklaerungen namens unseres Hauses grundsaetzlich
der Unterschriften zweier ausreichend bevollmaechtigter Vertreter unseres
Hauses beduerfen. Wir verschicken daher keine rechtsverbindlichen Erklaerungen
per E-Mail an Dritte. Demgemaess nehmen wir per E-Mail au
ch keine rechtsverbindlichen Erklaerungen oder Auftraege von Dritten entgegen.
Sollten Sie Schwierigkeiten beim Oeffnen dieser E-Mail haben, wenden Sie sich
bitte an den Absender oder an i...@berenberg.de. Please refer to
http://www.berenberg.de/my_berenberg/disclaimer_e.html for our confidentiality
notice.