On 9/29/13 7:13 AM, Bosio Andrea wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I’m getting the following exception, using commons-dbcp-1.4.
>
> Caused by: java.util.NoSuchElementException: Timeout waiting for
> idle object
>
> at
> org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(GenericObjectPool.java:1144)
> ~[commons-pool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
>
> at
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:106)
> ~[commons-dbcp-1.4.jar:1.4]
>
> ... 62 common frames omitted
>
> Connections are managed by spring. These are the dbcp config
> parameters:
>
> poolPreparedStatements=true
>
> defaultAutoCommit=false
>
> driverClassName=oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
>
> validationQuery=select 0 from dual
>
> initialSize=1
>
> maxActive=15
>
> maxIdle=15
>
> maxWait=60000
>
> removeAbandoned=false
>
> removeAbandonedTimeout=300
>
> On the database (oracle) I see no active connections when the
> problem occurs, and sometimes a few inactive connections (5
> connections).
>
> I got an heap dump, and found that the ConnectionPool object
> (instance of org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool)
> numActive variable value is 15, so I understand that the
> connection pool thinks that there are 15 active connections.
>
> I can’t understand why this happen, because on the database there
> aren’t so many connections.
>
> On the heap dump, another thing is strange: the ConnectionPool
> object variable “pool”, which as far I understand is the list of
> the connections managed by the pool, contains no element!

The most likely explanation for this is that connections checked out
from the pool are being abandoned by client threads - i.e., never
returned via the close() method. The first thing to check is that on
all code execution paths (including exceptions), the connections
borrowed from the pool are being closed. You can turn on abandoned
connection removal and logging to verify that this is not happening.
If turning on abandoned connection removal makes the problem go
away, you should still find and fix the code paths that abandon
connections.

Unless client threads are being interrupted, this will not likely
fix anything, but you can try upgrading to version 1.5.7 of Commons
Pool.

Phil