Yes, it might cause a problem to publish an RC.

Any publication to Maven Central effectively freezes the current public API.
If a problem is then found, generally the only solution that avoids
jar hell is to release a new version with different package name and
different Maven coords - i.e. effectively a different product.
This will not be a drop-in replacement, and will require source code
changes by anyone using it.