On 06/01/2015 03:52 PM, luc wrote:
> Le 2015-06-01 15:27, Gilles a écrit :
>> Hello.

>>> Hi Gilles,
>>>
>>> I'm on the fence on this. The exception is advertised right at the
>>> the top
>>> interface level (ConvexHull in o.a.c.m.geometry.hull package) and
>>> clearly intended
>>> to cover this case. An empty region could be expected from computing
>>> the hull of n >= 3 aligned points, but n < 3 points is something
>>> different to me.
>>
>> This is how I get the "Region" in my program:
>>
>>    final ConvexHullGenerator2D hullGen = new MonotoneChain(false);
>>    final ConvexHull2D hull = hullGen.generate(data);
>>    final Region<Euclidean2D> hullRegion = hull.createRegion();
>
> Looking at AbstractConvexHullGenerator2D and ConvexHull2D, they indeed
> seem inconsistent with respect to the number of points.
>
> In AbstractConvexHullGenerator2D.generate, you can have points.size() <
> 2, there
> is a special handling. In ConvexHull2D you cannot have vertices.length < 3.
>
> I think this is a problem.

My understanding was that creating a 2D region with less than 3 points
does not give a meaningful result, but this assumption may be wrong.

I did recall doing some tests with less than 3 points and got weird
results, see the test case below:

  final RegionFactory<Euclidean2D> factory = new
RegionFactory<Euclidean2D>();

  Vector2D p1 = new Vector2D(0, 0);
  Vector2D p2 = new Vector2D(1, 0);
  Vector2D p3 = new Vector2D(1, 1);
  Vector2D p4 = new Vector2D(0.8, 0.8);

  final Line[] lineArray = new Line[1];
  lineArray[0] = new Line(p1, p2, 1e-6);

  Region<Euclidean2D> reg = factory.buildConvex(lineArray);
  System.out.println(reg.getSize());
  System.out.println(reg.checkPoint(p3));
  System.out.println(reg.checkPoint(p4));

I get different results for 3.3 and 4.0:

In 3.3, the results are:

 Infinity
 INSIDE
 INSIDE

In 4.0:

 IndexOutOfBoundsException
 INSIDE
 INSIDE

Doing the same test with 2 line segments (p1 -> p2 and p2 -> p3) leads
to a NullPointerException when calling getSize().

So, I tried to be conservative when creating the region, and this is
also expressed in the javadoc, although I admit there is no method to
return the minimum number of hull points that need to be present in
order to create a region.

I am really wondering if a 2D region consisting of less than 3 points
does make sense, and if so, what is the correct way to construct such a
region and what are the expected properties?

If this is clarified, I am fine to update the ConvexHull2D class to
handle these cases too.

Thomas