'ello,

(sorry for the potential HTML reply, I hate using the web interface,
but that's the only one available at the moment)

> /bin/bash: ls -l: command not found

To the extent of my knowledge, the error raised in your new code
(which is certainly raised by bash itself) means the executable 'ls
-l' is not found in your path (surely 'ls' exists in all paths, system
and userwide). IMHO what happens is this:

[paulo@cardiff ~] $ LANG=en_US bash -c '"ls -l"'
bash: ls -l: command not found

The command to be executed is 'ls' with argument '-l', and not 'ls -l'
as a whole. I am not sure how the inner bowels of process execution
work, but I'd try (regardless of how much esoteric it sounds):

CommandLine cmdLine = new CommandLine("/bin/bash");
cmdLine.addArguments(new String[] {"-c", "ls", "-l" });

Best,

Paulo