Hi Greg,

Am 13.11.2016 um 18:41 schrieb Greg Torrance:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> Thanks for the reply. That is helpful!
>
>> Hm, it looks as if the examples are partly incorrect. I assume that
> the channel with id="4" should not be part of testfile1.xml, but only be
> contained in the second file. It should appear in the results of union
> and  merge combiner. Does that make sense?
>
> I'm not clear why -- if the channel with id="4" is not contained in
> testfile1.xml -- why it will not end up in the results from all three
> combiners. Why just union and merge and not override, too?
On a higher level, OverrideCombiner detects that both files have a list
of channels. Therefore, it copies the first list and ignores the second
one. So the channels element in the first file overrides the one in the
second file.

> As for the attributes, do I understand correctly that the attribute
> values for elements are used, essentially, as "key" values to
> distinguish the various elements for combining purposes? And if the
> values of any attributes of two elements differ, then the elements would
> be considered different elements for combining purposes? (Said another
> way, if two elements have a set of attributes in common, if the values
> for those common attributes are the same, the elements will be
> considered to match.) Does that make sense? Is that correct?
This is true only for MergeCombiner. The other combiners do not try to
match nodes in both configurations based on their attribute values; they
take two source nodes at the same position in the hierarchy and produce
a result node that has all the attributes of the two source nodes.

Oliver