On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 6:56 AM, r.c.hoekstra <r.c.hoeks...@scarlet.nl> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> We are working at the ErasmusMC hospital at Rotterdam, Netherlands, on
> scientific simulations on the spread of infectious diseases through human
> populations.
> In this project we use Apache Commons SCXML to model diseases.

Just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the reasons, in higher
level, why SCXML library was chosen for the simulation in the first
place? There are many tools and libs, specialized in simulation, such
as MASON. Was it mainly because of the declarative way of SCXML or
scriptability (e.g, in JEXL) or both? Is there any other background
reason?
Is it also a considerable option for you to use one of those
simulation-specialized tools or libs instead of SCXML if it can meets
the requirements?

> However, the problem with the present implementation is that it is too slow
> for us. We would need a version that is optimized for being instantiated
> 1000000 times in a running simulation.

It sounds really really slow, and the expectation is like 10+ days vs
1 sec. And is it concerned more on *loading* time before *execution*,
or both?

> For the coming 2 or 3 months we have money available to pay someone who
> could create an adapted, descaled version of apache commons scxml. The goal
> is to make it much faster, either by optimizing, rewriting, and dispose of
> elements not needed for us.

To be honest, in my gut feeling, it seems infeasible to improve or
rewrite the SCXML library in the shorter term to meet the expectation.
To me, SCXML in both spec and implementation, doesn't seem to be
designed for that kind of highly capable simulation use cases. It's
just too heavy and too much feature driven, IMHO, for that kind of use
cases. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, I'm personally doubtful to try to improve SCXML project to cover
the simulation use cases even in the future. It is a reference
implementation and so it has to keep all the features in the spec, and
so on. Long-time less-activeness in this community is another thing.

Regards,

Woonsan