On 3 May 2018 at 17:18, Mark Trolley <marktrol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure how to respond to my own thread so I am hoping sending a
> reply to my own sent message will do it.
>
> I experimented and discovered the problem is in the spaces in the
> filename argument. If the file is renamed to not have spaces the
> execution succeeds. However, this doesn't work for my usecase because
> I want to parse the filename for information to get metadata I'll use
> later.

It may be that quotes are being added to the parameter - I assume the
file name does not have quotes.

Quoting is necessary for protecting spaces on a shell command-line,
but not when the parameters are being passed directly to a program as
separate parameters.

It would be useful to know if the AtomicParsley app puts quotes around
file names in error messages.

I seem to remember some issues with inappropriate quoting of
parameters a long time ago, but I thought they had been resolved.
Maybe not. Or maybe the issue is with the substitution map processing
- can you try without that?

Might also be worth trying the command-line approach.

BTW for checking parameters a script is not ideal because the shell
may get involved.

It's easy enough to write a Java program to print out its parameters
(or use one of the scripting languages).
That should behave closer to the AtomicParsley app.