Hello.

Le mer. 29 mai 2019 à 12:24, Marco Neumann <marco.neum...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> I am evaluating the use of Apache Math Commons Median for the querying of
> large data sets in another Apache project called Apache Jena.
>
> In my preliminary performance tests I was surprised to find that a simple
> implementation of a median function with Arrays.sort() and a programmatic
> selection of the median value yields much faster results
> than Median().evaluate() or DescriptiveStatistics.getPercentile(50).

:-(

> Since we only use this function for  Arrays of confirmed numbers

What is a "confirmed number"?

> is there a
> particular benefit in using Apache Commons Math for this task or are we
> better advised to use our own implementation here?

There is ongoing work to refactor the "o.a.c.m.stat.descriptive" package
of "Commons Math".  The new code will be in "Commons Statistics".[1]
Your observation is an interesting data point for this task; could you please
file a report in JIRA[2] and/or mention on the "dev" ML?

Thanks,
Gilles

[1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-statistics/
[2]