>>So, for example "trials where
>>(parameters['parameter1'] == 10 AND parameters['parameter2'] >= 42)"

Whether this can be accomplished inside CouchDB or not, it should be
possible to do inside a Lucene index based off CouchDB data. I don't
currently do the right thing for numbers in range queries, but when I
fix that this kind of query should return _id,_rev pairs;

../dbname/_fti?q=parameter1:10 AND parameter2:[0 TO 42]

the current issue (for my code) is that 0 to 42 is evaluated
lexicographically, which is wrong. I have a planned fix but no time
this week to commit it. It'll appear at
http://github.com/rnewson/couchdb-lucene when it does.

I expect the query to evaluate very quickly, even when you change the
start and end points (in fact my approach expects you to re-query with
different points).

B.