yes, stale=ok won't help if you've never built the view. but if you
hit your view without stale=ok every N minutes from a cron job or
something, then you can always use stale=ok from your "real" clients,
and they'll never block for a view update. You'll always be five
minutes behind, but I think that's probably ok.

B.