I had a similar problem on Centos 5.4.

For me, it was a permissions issue on the log directory. The directory of /usr/local/var/log/couchdb was owned by root and did not have write permissions for the couchdb user. As a result couchdb never fully started and could only be killed with manually.

The solution for me was to:

chgrp couchdb /usr/local/var/log/couchdb && chmod g+w /usr/local/var/ log/couchdb

This might need to be fixed in the Makefile. It might need to know the name of the user that couchdb will run under and change permissions of the log directory on "make install". Perhaps it needs an option like with-user=couchdb.

- Devon