fwiw: I use a cron job to establish continuous replication precisely
because they are not persistent. POST'ing to _replicate with the same
source and target is idempotent, so a cron job that mindlessly
resubmits all your replication tasks is harmless.

I go further, since I use pairs of servers, and read _all_dbs from the
other side and kick off a continuous pull replication task, and this
runs every 5 minutes.

B.