Deploying a new design document, with the updated view functions,
building the views, and then using HTTP COPY to copy the new design
document over the old one, allows for this already, regardless of
whether you use URL rewriting.

curl http://localhost:5984/db5/_design/foo -X PUT -d '{}'
curl http://localhost:5984/db5/_design/bar -X PUT -d '{}'

foo is current ddoc, bar is the new one.

curl http://localhost:5984/db5/_design/bar -X COPY -H "Destination:
_design/foo?rev=1-967a00dff5e02add41819138abb3284d"

_design/foo is atomically updated to be the same as _design/bar, so
any queries going to _design/foo are suddenly using the new index.

B.