ufw and shorewall are great wrappers for iptables that abstract iptables's
terminology into something better.

If you want a GUI to build the firewall config, check out FWBuilder. There
are a few others that exist as well, but I cannot remember what they're
called.

If you're having trouble setting up CouchDB to listen on all interfaces
(0.0.0.0), I would not suggest trying to create an operating system.

---
Keith Gable
A+, Network+, and Storage+ Certified Professional
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Mobile Application Developer / Web Developer