Dear experts,

apologies if I'm asking something that has already been asked here, if
so, I'm happy to have just a link to a previous discussion.

Coming to the problem, over the last week, one of my couch instances
went twice from ?~20GB to ~300GB. The problem is that the compaction
never manages to switch the databases because there are always a few
thousand changes to catch up on (~30k), e.g.:
"""
Compaction file still behind main file (update seq=199559009. compact
update seq=199532061). Retrying.
"""

By the time it catches up, there is again another 20k or 30k changes to process.

I have this setup for many years now (CentOS7, CouchDB 1.6.1, probably
a normal load), so I wonder if this is actually a symptom that
something else is not fine in the system? Besides stopping database
writes, is there anything else that I could do to avoid it?

Thank you in advance.
Alan.

PS.: Out of curiosity, is it handled in a different/better way in the
latest CouchDB versions (like 3.1)?