Uli,

I think that the current plans include approximate operators for some
aggregations, but not anything on the level, say, BlinkDB.

That said, Drill's optimizer could easily have rules that allow you to
explicitly down-sample data to different degrees and then have queries
choose between versions very facilely.  This is somewhat analogous to how
Apache Kylin uses the same optimizer to query OLAP cubed versions of tables.

That isn't on the roadmap.