There is a JIRA open right now, I believe to support impersonation.

With this, a single Drill bit can function on behalf of multiple users,
adopting the permissions of each user so that the file system can enforce
security constraints.

There is also research work going on to experiment with ways that quiescent
drill bits can decrease their memory footprint until Drill needs to scale
up due to a large query.  This avoids startup time while allowing all the
benefits of elasticity.  Getting this to work with Mesos will require that
Mesos allow processes to grow and shrink and also to be told when to shrink
due to pressure from other processes (the former is possible, the latter is
coming Real Soon Now).