Drill loses locality information on anything but an HDFS oriented file
system.  That might be part of what you are observing.  Having pre-split
files should allow parallelism.

Can you describe your experiments in more detail?

Also, what specifically do you mean by CFS and GFS?  Ceph and Gluster?

It might help you if you check out the MapR community edition.  That would
give you a more standard view of a shared file system since it allows
distributed NFS service.  You also don't have to worry about the
implications of having an object store under your file system as with
Ceph.  Instead, the cluster (made up of any machines you have) would
present as a *very* standard file system with the exception of locking.
This would have the side effect of letting you experiment on the same data
from both kinds of API (NFS and HDFS) to check for differences.