Hi Jacques, yes when I copy all these files over manually from my Linux
machine, everything works as expected on Windows 7 32bit.  ODBC drivers and
Drill explorer also work fine.

So what do you think is causing some of these files not to be written on
startup?   I have permission on all folders.

For  I/O operations in Drill at startup, ideally they'd be performed in a
try catch block of some sort so that the program can exit gracefully with
the appropriate feedback to the user, no?

Let me know if I can be of further help in tracking down this problem.

Peder J.