Hi,

Have you tried:
   select column['list'][0]['element'] from ...
       should return "My First Value".

or try:
    select flatten(column['list'])['element] from ...

Hope it helps, in our data we have a column that looks like this:
[{"NAME:":"Aname", "DATA":"thedata"},{"NAME:":"Aname2",
"DATA":"thedata2"},.....]

We ended doing custom function to do look up instead of doing costly
flatten technique.

Francois