You should be able to connect to a Hive cluster via JDBC. However, the benefit
of using Drill co-located on the same cluster is that Drill can directly access
the data based on locality information from Hive and process across theĀ
distributedĀ FS cluster.

With JDBC, any filters you have, will (most probably) not be pushed down to
Hive. So, you'll end up loading the unfiltered data through a single data
channel from the Hive cluster, into your Drill cluster, before it can start
processing.

If using JDBC is the only option, it might be worth using the 'create table as'
(or the temporary table variant) to offload that data into your Drill cluster
and then execute your analytical queries against this offloaded dataset.